What is the current situation?
Some news and statistics on the enormity of the problem
Ground reality is grim for the war affected Tamils:
-Suicide amoung war victims is becoming frequent
-Prostitution (generally to military)
-Child labor and exploitation, no access to schools
- The Status of War Widows in Sri Lanka
- Widows Struggle to Put Life Back Together Again
- War amputees fight for new limbs
- Sri Lanka War Leaves 89,000 Widows
Why should you help war victims in Sri Lanka?
Civil war in Sri Lanka ended on May 19, 2009 with the surrender of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) members to the armed forces of the Government of Sri Lanka.
Tens of thousands of people became refugees and destitute, and those who surrendered and/or detained together with civilians need help for rebuilding their lives.
All of these war victims are exclusively from the Tamil community and long term residents of North and/or East of Sri Lanka.
Many of the victims lost their primary income earner in their family, some lost limbs, and some became blind. They need your help.
How can you help?
You can help these desperate Tamil families in number of ways:
- Donate. Your on-line or mail-in donation can provide a war affected individual or family with opportunity and hope to improve their lives.
- Volunteer your time and skills to NOWWOW charitable activities. Please check our volunteer page for info.
- Sponsor a family and get personally and directly involve in helping them.
- Become a mentor. There are lot of young Tamils who need your help.
- Become a counselor. Money alone cannot be of help in certain cases. Help the ones suffering from post war syndrome and depression.